Durham Bulls Athletic Park
Every April through August, Durhamites can enjoy our very own minor league baseball team: The Durham Bulls. Conveniently located downtown right off NC Highway 147, the Durham Bulls Athletic Park also hosts events throughout the year and is a great place for fans of baseball. This 10,000 seat ballpark opened in 1995, and also plays host to the Duke Blue Devils squad. (The iconic ballpark which it replaced — made famous in a certain Kevin Costner film — is still in use, and can be found just a few blocks away.)
Here are our six favorite things about Durham Bulls games and DBAP:
- Wool E. Bull: This lovable mascot can be found scurrying around the park–on foot or in his go-cart–during games, taking photos with kids and loyally cheering on his team.
- Bark in the Park: Three times per year, you can (for a small fee) bring your furry friends with you to enjoy the game. Be sure to bring a leash and some water!
- $1 Concessions: You’re reading that right!.On special nights throughout the season, fans can enjoy classic ballpark snacks, like hot dogs, popcorn and sodas, for just $1 each.
- The Snorting Bull: A holdover from Bull Durham, what started as a movie prop has become a local legend. The sign infamously reads “Hit Bull, Win Steak,” and only 29 players have done so since it’s addition in 1995 (and yes, they really do win a steak).
- Fireworks: Thoughts of summer often go hand in hand with fireworks, and on special nights during the warmer months you’ll catch one of the best post-game shows around.
- The Love of the Game: Nothing brings a community together quite like cheering on your local team, and the supportive spirit in DBAP during a game can be felt in the air.
What is your favorite thing about the Durham Bulls Athletic Park? Let us know on Facebook!